How does a network mapping tool work?
Network mapping tools help manage your networks by providing real-time information about device status and connection details. They also detect new devices as and when they are added, so your information in the tool remains up to date.
Here is how our network mapping tool works:
Automatically discovers devices
Add devices without any hassle with the auto-discover option, which provides a granular view of what's in your network.
Detects topology changes with periodic scans
Scans to identify network topology changes, and adds or removes devices to the network map as needed.
Identifies issues in devices instantly
Quickly locate faulty devices and drill down into the details to get a complete picture of what's happening and avoid performance bottlenecks.
Why is network mapping important for network performance?
Global organizations, hybrid workplaces, public and private cloud networks, innumerable devices, and interlinked data connections have resulted in complex networks. These assets require constant monitoring to ensure that there's no compromise on the security or performance of your networks. One of the easiest methods of monitoring networks is to visualize them on a network map.
Once you've mapped your devices with our network mapping tool, you can:
- View all the devices in a single pane.
- Understand the relationships between various devices and the intensity of network issues, if any.
- Prioritize issues that need immediate action.
- Immediately view a device and its connections if it goes down or shows it's in trouble.
- Notify users in a particular region if there are connectivity issues.
- Navigate to the exact physical location of the device or issue.
What are some best practices for network mapping?
Take an inventory of all the devices you need to map
Know what devices must be added to your network maps for monitoring. With Site24x7, you only need to provide the IP range of the network, and you're all set to get started with mapping devices on a map.
Start mapping devices with Site24x7's network mapping tool
Manual network mapping is error-prone, cumbersome, and time-consuming. However, with Site24x7's network mapping tool, your network admins can focus on the big picture as our tool auto-discovers all the devices within your network and saves them from getting caught up in the nitty-gritty of network monitoring.
Overview of network configuration management
What is Network Mapping?
Network mapping is a method to visually represent an organization's network structure, layout, and interconnections. It provides an at-a-glance view of the network infrastructure. The purpose of network mapping is to gain a complete understanding of the network's configuration and topology, which enables effective network management, troubleshooting, and analysis.
What are the types of network maps in Site24x7?
Site24x7 provides topology maps and Layer 2 maps to depict the structure and connections of a network visually.
Topology maps are customizable network maps that allow for organizing network devices and interfaces logically and hierarchically. These maps can be placed over a personalized background to represent the functioning and appearance of the network visually.
Layer 2 maps provide detailed insights into device connections and the interfaces connecting them. These maps also allow admins to detect any unmonitored devices in the network or even unauthorized connections as devices are discovered automatically.
What does a network topology mapper do?
A network topology mapper is a powerful tool that displays your monitored devices on a map, empowering network administrators to gain a clear understanding of their network's topology. By allowing administrators to customize the map's background, the tool makes it easy to identify devices that require attention according to the geographic location, making it easy to deploy resources as needed. With a comprehensive view of the network topology, administrators can quickly inspect affected devices and respond instantly to network issues.
What are the benefits of network mapping?
Network mapping is beneficial for network administrators, as it allows them to identify potential issues, areas for improvement, and unauthorized devices. It also simplifies the process of troubleshooting network issues, as administrators can quickly locate affected devices or connections. By using network mapping, you can optimize network performance, minimize downtime, and reduce the time and effort spent resolving network outages or performance problems.
Why is Site24x7 the best network mapping tool?
There are several reasons why Site24x7 is the best network mapping tool, a few of which are listed here:
- Automatic Discovery: You can use the Rediscover option to identify the devices in your networks that have not been added to the map yet and start monitoring them via Layer 2 maps. Devices are automatically discovered once a day.
- Real-time mapping: The visually intuitive interface allows you to see the connections between devices and monitor the status of each device.
- Dependency Mapping: Our network mapping tool helps to understand the relationship between different network components. It provides a visual representation of the interconnected devices and shows the potential impact on other devices when changes are made to one. This knowledge is useful for troubleshooting.
- Scalability: Site24x7 is equipped to manage networks of all sizes, from small local networks to large enterprise-level networks with many devices. It offers the flexibility to scale and customize to meet the exact requirements of your network.