Slack offers secure collaboration across teams and it is essential to track them for security incidents. This ready-to-install plugin monitors messages sent and files uploaded to be instantly notified on any malware injection.
Some of the metrics provided for this plugin include:
- Total number of files
- Total users
- Scheduled Messages
- Total File Size
- Image, Video, and Audio Files
- Executable File Count
- Make sure you have Python version 3.6 and above installed.
- Make sure you have Python request module installed. Execute the following commands to install the module:
wget https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.pypython3.6 get-pip.pypip3.6 install requests
- Ensure to have the slackclient developer kit installed.
pip3.6 install slackclient
- Make sure the OAuth token of your Slack account is rightly generated. If you don't have one yet, generate a new one.
- Our Linux server monitoring agent should be installed in the server.
- While adding a plugin, the plugin name and its folder name inside the Site24x7 agent should be identical.
There are two ready-to-install plugins available in GitHub to monitor the Slack application and the channels in the application.
- Download and install the latest version of the Site24x7 Linux agent in the server where you plan to run the plugin. If it is installed successfully, you will see a Linux server monitor in the Site24x7 Control Panel. This confirms that the agent is able to communicate with our data center.
- Download the required plugin script and the configuration file from our GitHub repository.
For example, to download the plugin for monitoring the Slack channels,wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/site24x7/plugins/master/slack_channels_monitoring/slack_channels_monitoring.pywget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/site24x7/plugins/master/slack_channels_monitoring/slack_channels_monitoring.cfg
- In the configuration file, add the OAuth token of your Slack account.
For example, edit the 'slack_channels_monitoring.cfg' file as follows:[display_name]oauth_token = xoxp-1115218301570-1145293321776-1107217637223-sew12saq185c59db496cad2b6655868ac4echannel_name = agent_teamchannel_type = private
- Create a folder with the plugin name under the Site24x7 Linux agent plugin directory '/opt/site24x7/monagent/plugins/' and place the script and configuration files under '/opt/site24x7/monagent/plugins/'plugin folder'/'.
For example, if you are using the 'slack_channels_monitoring' plugin, create a folder with the name 'slack_channels_monitoring' and place the 'slack_channels_monitoring.py' and 'slack_channels_monitoring.cfg' files under '/opt/site24x7/monagent/plugins/slack_channels_monitoring/'
The agent will automatically execute the plugin within five minutes and send performance data to the Site24x7 data center.
View Data in the Site24x7 Web Client
- Log in to Site24x7 and go to Server > Plugins > click on the name of the plugin monitor.
- You will be able to view all metrics of your Slack workspaces.
Feel free to contribute to our existing plugin and come up with suggestions or feedback on our Community.