Install and configure the SendGrid plugin to monitor SendGrid’s cloud-based email infrastructure. Take informed troubleshooting decisions by keeping track of critical metrics like the number of emails delivered, unique clicks, the number of requests and lot more.
This document details how to configure the SendGrid plugin and the monitoring metrics for providing in-depth visibility into the performance, availability, and usage stats of SendGrid servers.
SendGrid performance monitoring metrics:
Use our wide array of metrics and get notified of hazardous errors that require your attention. Keep track of unexpected trends through our metric graphs and troubleshoot as quickly as possible. Various out-of-the-box metrics we support are:
The number of emails delivered/opened
The delivered/opens metric refers to the number of emails delivered to/opened by the end recipient respectively.
Number of requests
The requests metric gives the number of requests received by the SendGrid server from your application or server to send an email to your customers.
The number of unique clicks/opens
The unique_clicks/unique_opens is the number of unique individuals that have clicked the links in your emails/opened your emails respectively.
The number of emails that are bounced back
The bounces metric gives the total number of emails that are bounced back by the receiving mail server due to a misspelled email address, a non-existent email address or a full recipient inbox.
The number of invalid emails
The metric invalid_emails is the total number of emails considered as invalid because it is formatted in a manner that does not meet internet email format standards.
The number of emails unsubscribed
The unsubscribes gives the total number of emails that have been unsubscribed by the user by clicking the subscription management link present in bulk mails.
The number of spam emails
The spam_reports tells the number of emails that have considered under the Spam list.
The number of emails blocked
The blocks metric gives the total number of emails whose IP addresses have been added in a blacklist of some sort.
The number of emails deferred
The deferred metric tells the number of emails that are not accepted by an ISP from your IP address.
- A SendGrid account and a valid API key has to be generated
- The API_KEY is used for authorization while getting the stats from the SendGrid server
SendGrid plugin installation:
- Create a directory with the name"sendgrid", under Site24x7 Linux agent plugin directory - /opt/site24x7/monagent/plugins/
sudo mkdir sendgrid
- Download the"sendgrid.py" from our GitHub repository and place it under the"sendgrid" directory
sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/site24x7/plugins/master/sendgrid/sendgrid.py
- Change the value of API_KEY to match your configuration
- The server agent will report stats on the performance of SendGrid under the Plugins tab in the Site24x7 web client. In case the plugin is not listed in the Site24x7 web client, restart the agent
sudo /etc/init.d/site24x7monagent restart
Monitoring additional metrics:
- To monitor additional metrics, edit the"sendgrid.py" file and add the new metrics that need monitoring
- Increment the plugin version value in the file"sendgrid.py" to view the newly added metrics (For e.g., change the default plugin version from PLUGIN_VERSION ="1" to"PLUGIN_VERSION ="2")
- ActiveMQ plugin - Monitor performance metrics of your Apache ActiveMQ instances
- Gearman plugin - Monitor performance metrics of your Gearman job servers
- Tomcat plugin - Analyze performance of your Tomcat server
- Twilio plugin - Ensure continued functionality of the Twilio platform
- Out-of-the-box plugins - Monitor your entire app stack with our extensive list of integrations
- Create custom plugins - Create custom Linux and Windows plugins and monitor custom attributes