Samba is an open Source/free Software suite that provides seamless file and print services to SMB/CIFS clients. Install and use our Samba monitoring tool and get detailed insights into server activity and health.
This document details how to configure the Samba plugin and the monitoring metrics for providing in-depth visibility into the performance, availability, and usage stats of Samba servers.
Samba performance monitoring metrics:
Take informed troubleshooting decisions by keeping track of critical Samba metrics including:
Use the metric "samba_version" and view the full information on your current Samba installation version.
Get information on the number of unique folder shares being accessed by the user with the metric "folders_accessed".
The metric "users" lists out the total number of users that have an open connection to your Samba server.
How it works?
- Ensure Samba is installed and running in the server where you are going to install the plugin.
- Run the command "sudo smbstatus" to check whether installation is done properly. If the command yields an output, only then will the plugin function properly.
Samba plugin installation:
- Create a directory with the name "samba", under Site24x7 Linux Agent plugin directory - /opt/site24x7/monagent/plugins/
- Download the file "samba.py" from our GitHub repository and place it under the "samba" directory
Samba plugin configuration:
- In order to change the monitoring configuration, go to plugins directory and edit the required plugin file
- The default python path given in the plugin script is #!/usr/bin/python. If you wish to provide an alternate python path, replace the existing one preceded by the shebang character "#!".
- Make your changes in the config section (example given below)
Samba plugin file location - /opt/site24x7agent/monagent/plugins/samba/samba.py
Monitoring additional metrics:
- To monitor additional metrics, edit the "samba.py" file and add the new metrics that need monitoring
- Increment the plugin version value in the file "samba.py" to view the newly added metrics ( For e.g. Change the default plugin version from PLUGIN_VERSION = "1" to "PLUGIN_VERSION = "2")
- GlassFish plugin - Analyze performance of your GlassFish database servers
- Memcached plugin - Analyze performance of your Memcached server
- ActiveMQ plugin - Optimize ActiveMQ server performance and get comprehensive management reports
- Nagios plugin - Execute thousands of Nagios plugins in Site24x7 without the need of running a Nagios server
- Out-of-the-box plugins - Monitor your entire app stack with our extensive list of integrations
- Create custom plugins - Create custom Linux and Windows plugins and monitor custom attributes