Apache CouchDB is open source database software which has a document-oriented NoSQL architecture. Install and use our CouchDB monitoring tool and get detailed insights into database activity and health.
This document details how to configure the CouchDB plugin and the monitoring metrics for providing in-depth visibility into the performance, availability, and usage stats of CouchDB servers.
Performance Monitoring Metrics
Authentication cache hits/misses
The total number of times authentication data requested by a component/application was found/not found in the cache memory.
The total number of databases in the CouchDB server that were found to be open.
The total number of bulk requests that has been received by a CouchDB database from a component/application.
Total number of HTTP requests a database has recieved.
Total number of times a document was read from a database.
Total number of times changes were made to a database.
Total number of views read in a database.
Total number of HTTP POST, GET, COPY, HEAD, MOVE and PUT requests recieved by a database.
Open OS files
Number of file descriptors a CouchDB database has opened.
- Ensure CouchDB is installed in the server and is up and running.
- This plugin uses '/_stats' url to fetch the performance metrics. By default, it is configured during the installation of CouchDB itself. If not you will have to configure it
- Download and install the latest version of the Site24x7 Linux agent in the server where you plan to run the plugin. If it is installed successfully, you will see a Linux server monitor in the Site24x7 Control Panel. This confirms that the agent is able to communicate with our data center.
- Download the couchdb.py file from our GitHub repository.
- By default, the plugin uses the status url 'http://127.0.0.1:5894/_stats' to fetch the performance metrics. To change the existing configuration, edit the '#Config Section' in the 'couchdb.py' file.
#Config Section:COUCHDB_HOST ='127.0.0.1'COUCHDB_PORT ="5984"COUCHDB_STATS_URI="/_stats/"COUCHDB_USERNAME =NONECOUCHDB_PASSWORD =NONE
- Create a folder with the name 'couchdb', under Site24x7 Linux Agent plugin directory - '/opt/site24x7/monagent/plugins/couchdb' and place the 'couchdb.py' file under '/opt/site24x7/monagent/plugins/couchdb/'
The agent will automatically execute the plugin within five minutes and send performance data to the Site24x7 data center.
Manually execute the plugin script using the following command and verify its output:
View Data in the Site24x7 Web Client
- Log in to Site24x7 and go to Server > Plugins > Name of Plugin Monitor.
- You will be able to view the performance charts on the various metrics for your CouchDB server.
Feel free to contribute to our existing plugin and come up with suggestions or feedback on our Community.